Would you believe it if I told you that it only took me 10 minutes of active prep time to make last night’s delicious chili recipe? I threw the ingredients in my crock pot before I left for work and came home to a delicious smelling house and warm food. Note: if your crock pot does not have an automatic switch to turn from low to warm, you will need to make this on a day where you can manually change it after six hours.
- 1 T ghee or coconut oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat (preferably grass-fed)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 cup green onion (green part only for low FODMAP), finely sliced
- 26.46 ounce container POMI chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder (make sure to find one that does not contain garlic or onion)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
1. Add ghee or coconut oil to slow cooker / crock pot. Turn to low and allow slow cooker to preheat while you chop bell pepper and green onion.
2. Add beef stew meat, bell pepper, green onion, POMI chopped tomatoes, spices, and water. Give chili mixture a good stir. Heat on low for 6 hours. Serve with any of the below optional toppings.
- Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped (SIBO friendly if you do not have issues with sulfur/high thiol foods)
- Avocado, diced (generally not SIBO friendly due to FODMAP content- use with caution)
- Zucchini Cheese- (SIBO friendly)- make ahead of time using this recipe
- Coconut Milk Yogurt (Dreamboat brand is sugar free)- not SIBO friendly due to probiotic content
Add-Ins to stretch recipe: do you have a large family? Or perhaps it is not realistic (or healthy) for others in your family to be on as extreme of carbohydrate restriction as you? No problem! You can make this recipe stretch by cooking up some beans and rice to go along with it or serving with a side of starchy veggies.
- Beans & Rice (not SIBO friendly)
- Sweet Potato (not SIBO friendly)