I went grocery shopping at Food-Front Co-Op yesterday and found some wild-caught steelhead on sale for $9.99/lb (normally $14.99/lb). I decided to buy it as a nice treat for my breakfasts this week (yes, I eat fish for breakfast- the concept of “breakfast” is nonexistent in my diet).
With my continued fatigue and recent realization of a green bean allergy, I decided I needed to take a closer look at the nutritional content of what I have been eating. I discovered that I am getting about 1500-1800 calories per day. 15% of that is from carbohydrates, 25% from fat, and the remaining 60% from protein. That protein level is just way too high for my comfort (and wallet). I cannot add more carbohydrates to my diet because it feeds my SIBO, so I decided that it was necessary to start adding more fat (in the form of ghee & olive oil). I am also considering adding back coconut oil and seeing if I have a reaction (I removed it per Dr. Keller’s recommendation that people with type O blood do not tolerate coconut well). The generous amount of ghee in this recipe meets my goal of adding more fat to my diet. I also found it to be incredibly delicious 🙂 Let me know if you try it out!
- 2 lbs wild-caught steelhead (cut into 1/2 lb portions)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cultured ghee, melted (you can substitute grass-fed butter if you tolerate dairy)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add olive oil to glass baking dish to grease it. Place steelhead fillets in oiled dish.
- Make sauce: melt 2 tablespoons ghee. Stir in lemon juice, grated ginger, and dried ghee.
- Spoon lemon-herb-ghee sauce over steelhead.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until it easily flakes with a fork, but is no longer bright pink in color.